Thursday, September 25, 2014

Then Soft as Shadows We'll Become 【=◈︿◈=】Porter Robinson's "Worlds" Tour



I wasn't even supposed to see Porter Robinson's show at The Shrine last weekend, so it was a pretty little surprise when my boyfriend surprised me 24 hours before. Originally, we acted like total noobs and didn't hop on the ticket train early enough. Of course the show sold out. This is Porter Robinson's new Worlds album we're discussing here.

Inspired by anime, Japanese role-playing games and also tends to replicate that Goonies or Neverending Story nostalgic feeling I always crave, ticket availability for this night didn't stand a chance.

For weeks, I didn't think I was going to see this performance live due to our irresponsible lollygagging, which made listening to his album a tad difficult for me. Actually, it was a total tease. Lucky for us, Ticketmaster opened a few extra tickets at the VERY last minute. Guess it was meant to be.


I love each individual song on Worlds so much - it's like every track is a different chapter, and one by one, they all band together to form this grand, heroic tale. This guy as an artist is just so different and original, and he's only 22 years old. What?!

This album of his did something to me from the second I heard those first 11 happy beats of "Sad Machine". Every time I listen to that song, I catch myself swaying happily with my eyes closed, a huge smile plastered on my face.




The first track to actually make its way to my ears was "Divinity". You know how there's certain songs that strike a chord with you, and you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when you discovered them for the first time? That's what "Divinity" is to me. The sound is just so emotional and effortlessly cool.



Porter Robinson's music here is dreamy - and not dreamy in a poppy, schoolgirl crush way, but dreamy in the sense that you feel like you're invincible and soaring through the clouds whenever you listen to it. With song titles like "Polygon Dust" and "Fresh Static Snow", I'm sure you can imagine where I'm coming from. In fact, the album's cover consists of a dusky light purple and blue sky. Worlds projects some serious feels, and the artwork totally reflects that.


He opened with the beauty "Sea of Voices", which is as calming and inspiring as they come. This song initiated a blinding white light and an audience so silent; it was crystal clear just how much everyone was captivated by his presence. We all knew the next two hours would be quite magical, to say the least.




For the rest of the night, gigantic screens in front of us housed tons of fire and video game themed visuals, blasting purples, pinks, blues and whites straight into the souls of everyone there.



Hearing him throw down "Lionhearted" made me feel like I was marching off into a triumphant battle surrounded by all of my allies.



As always, "Flicker" started off playful and gradually transitioned into an intensely powerful, beautiful and deep adventure. I think I was most excited to see that one live, because the drop makes my chest feel like it's going to explode from all of the inevitable self-reflection it brings on.



Serious synth riffs, air gusts and confetti were unleashed all over the audience as Porter encored to his pre-Worlds classic, "Language". Just the thought of that confetti hovering over thousands of us as the last song winded down still gives me the chills.




The evening fulfilled every expectation I might have had and more. Next time, we'll be purchasing our Porter Robinson tickets the second they go on sale to make sure we'll never ever be deprived of what took place at The Shrine last Saturday night. That was a close one!

If you haven't listened to Worlds in its entirety yet, I have no idea what you're waiting for. I mean, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment